This soup was so good to me. So much flavor going on here. Also, using a lot of the same spices from soup #1, so was a steal. Filled me up, warmed me up, and I got seven servings out of this bad boy. Makes for happy friends 🙂
On top of being economical, this soup was souper easy to make…had to go there. The only thinking ahead you have to do is soak the lentils! Buying organic, dry beans and then soaking them in water for up to 24 hours is the best way to get them ready for your body to digest. You will thank yourself, trust me. Just toss them in a bowl, cover the beans with water, put a lid on and forget until you are ready to use the next day.
[I’m going to do a blog next week on the reasons why organic food is the only way to go these days. And no, it’s not expensive. I work as a server and am living in the most expensive state, if I can swing organic, you can too. In the words of Nike, “just do it”.]
You don’t have to be exact with your chopping, just whatever suites your taste. I chopped the sweet potatoes in larger chunks than the carrots and onions to add some chunkiness. I didn’t peel the carrots either because I think this is an unnecessary step (especially when organic), just wash your veggies and go to town. If you want to learn how to chop an onion sans tears, ma man Gordon Ramsay will show you how here…seriously the master. I shall never cry again!…well over onions at least.
I didn’t have cilantro for this dish either so I used micro greens. Fancy
…now that is a beautiful radish. I haven’t cooked with radishes much, but I really enjoyed them. They are a fun color, have buco health benefits, and are a nice, crunchy addition to soups, salads, toasts, etc. They aren’t overly flavor-forward so they should be easy to get by kids as well! bonus
Well what the health??
- Lentils: helps muscle generation, helps control diabetes, improves digestion, helps lower BP, helps prevent atherosclerosis, prevents cancer, helps in preventing birth defects, effective against hypertension and DNA damage, helps weight management, boosts metabolism, improves electrolyte activity
- Fennel: improves bone health, improves skin health, lowers blood pressure, aids digestion, increases satiety, improves colic, helps prevent cancer, decreases risk of heart disease, improves eye health, may ease menopausal symptoms
- Yellow Onion: improves heart health, anti-inflammatory, improves immune system, reduces gastric cancer risk, promotes good digestion, regulates blood sugar, improves bone density in older women
- Carrots: improves eyesight, prevents heart disease, reduces high BP, maintains good digestive health, boosts immune system, regulates blood sugar levels, improves eyesight, prevents macular degeneration (Macular degeneration causes loss in the center of the field of vision), reduces risk of cancer and stroke
- Sweet Potato: stabilizes blood sugar, high in antioxidants, boosts brain function, enhances immunity, promotes vision health, aids in weight loss
- Garlic: combats sickness, including common cold, reduces blood pressure, improves cholesterol levels, prevents Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, fights infectious disease, improves athletic performance (reduces fatigue), helps detoxify heavy metals in the body, improves bone health
- Olive Oil: reduces inflammation, has antioxidants, helps prevent strokes, protective against heart disease, lowers blood pressure, may help fight Alzheimer’s disease, protective against diabetes, anti-cancer properties, helps treat Rheumatoid arthritis, anti-bacterial properties
- Cumin: aids digestion, boosts immune system, treats respiratory disorders, promotes skin health, treats insomnia, prevents diabetes, has anti-viral and antibacterial properties, promotes detoxification, prevents cancer
- Turmeric: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, improves brain function and a lowers risk of brain diseases, lowers risk of heart disease, helps prevent and treat cancer, helps prevent and treat Alzheimer’s disease, helps reduce arthritis symptoms, benefits against depression, helps delay aging and fight age related chronic disease
- Coriander: lowers blood sugar, eases digestive discomfort, decrease blood pressure, fights food poisoning, improves cholesterol levels, helps urinary tract infections, supports healthy menstrual function, may prevent neurological inflammation and disease
- Cayenne: helps digestions, relieves migraine pain, prevents blood clots, provides detox support, relieves joint and nerve pain, supports weight loss, works as anti-irritant, supports weight loss, treats psoriasis, boosts metabolism, fights cold and flu, source of vitamin A, contains vitamin E, prevents allergies, possible anti-cancer agent, anti-fungal properties
- Cinnamon: high source of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, protects heart health, fights diabetes, helps protect against cognitive decline and protects brain function, may help lower cancer risk, fights infection and viruses, protects dental health and freshens breath naturally, can help prevent and cure candida (skin and nail fungal infections), benefits skin health, helps fight allergies, aaannnd as an added bonus…natural food preservative woohoo
- Lemon: helps reduce weight, gives relief from fever and cold, soothes toothache and cleanses teeth, provides relaxation to feet and treats corns, eases pain of sunburn and bee stings, controls high blood pressure, stops internal bleeding and nose bleeds, treats rheumatism and arthritis, cures indigestion and constipation, reduces dandruff and gives hair a natural shin, helps fade scars and remove wrinkles and blackheads